by: Alejandro Capote, Kentucky/Tennessee SFLA Regional Coordinator
As it so often happens when a party with a lack of pro-life leadership dominates one branch of government, as is the case in Kentucky, they yield that power to stop pro-life bills from even being debated, much less putting them up for a vote.
But last week, I got the chance to stand in the Capitol Rotunda in Frankfort, KY, and speak out, reminding our state legislatures to support mothers in crisis and preborn human babies who feel pain. We need to put an end to the massacre of tiny human babies and stop shaming women, and instead, offer real genuine support and love to all members of the human family.
As I stood there at the Capitol Rotunda, I was both excited and encouraged to see my students from the Louisville Teens for Life, speaking courageously and compassionately in defense of preborn babies and human beings. Ben Norton, president of the Louisville Teens for Life, said “Without life, there’s no liberty.”
Nothing else really matters if we do not have the right to life. Life is our most vital human right and dignity, and in the year 2015, when 3D-printed fetuses show that life begins way before birth, the Kentucky House continues to deny the vital right to life to other human beings who feel pain.
A few days ago I had a conversation with my Senator from Lexington and I told him that preemies could survive at 22 weeks. I asked him whether he was willing to protect them. His response: “I do not know too much about the subject. Alejandro, I believe in a woman right to choose.” With all due respect to the Senator, these human babies deserves to be protected from the harm of abortion. No matter what I asked or tried to explain, his response remained the same.
In Kentucky, like all across the country, there’s a strong disconnect between politicians and voters. These voters are overwhelmingly in support of common sense lifesaving bills like SB4 (having mothers be accurately informed about abortion before choosing), SB7 (the requirement of an ultrasound before an abortion is done), and HB 393 (banning abortions after 20 weeks, when babies feel pain). These bills offers protections and lifesaving alternatives.
A recent survey shows that 58% of millennials say abortion does more harm than good, and more Americans than ever are dissatisfied with the current abortion policies and want stricter abortion laws. Why doesn’t the Kentucky House listen to millennials voters? Why the disconnection? A post-election poll found that pro-life candidates received a 7% advantage in the mid-term elections. All that millennials and voters are asking is for the Kentucky House to catch up with science and protect preborn human babies who feel pain.
Abortion advocates in the Kentucky legislature need to stop hiding behind the Planned Parenthood mantra and war chest and start caring for the human race, both pre-born and born. After all, all life is precious, no matter our social status, conception, or disability; we are all human beings and each of us is necessary and deserving of love.
Take Action Kentucky
No matter your age or politics, we need you involved in the pro-life movement to restore human rights to the preborn and provide support and alternatives to women in crisis. Below are 5 simple steps that you can take today!
- Call members of the House Standing Committee on Health and Welfare and the Kentucky House Leadership using the legislative message line 1-800-372-7181 (takes 2-5 minutes, M-TH: 7am-11pm EST & F: 7am-6pm EST) and tell the receptionist that you would like the following message to be delivered to them: Support and allow these common sense and widely supported bills by voters to be heard on the House floor. The Commonwealth of Kentucky deserves a vote!
- Support Senate Bill 4- Informed Consent Requirement
- Support Senate Bill 7- Ultrasound
- Support House Bill 393- Pain Capable Unborn Protection Act
- Locate a Pregnancy Resource Center near you and visit Pregnant on Campus to locate resources on campus and in the community to support you as you seek your college degree.
- “Like” Students for Life’s Facebook page and “Follow” Students for Life’s Twitter page to stay up to date with everything that is happening in the pro-life movement.
- Pledge now to Vote Pro-Life First!
- Invest in our mission at Students for Life by making a one-time or monthly pledge today.