Fall is upon us and amidst the changing of colors, pumpkin spice lattes, and Halloween candy, we want to take time to speak a message of hope and love to pregnant and parenting students on college campuses across the country. We must love them both.
For the month of October, we want to provide you with all the materials you will need to spread a message of love and compassion for your peers through marketing the Pregnant on Campus Initiative.
There are many resources on your campus and in your communities for your pregnant and parenting peers. However, perception is reality. If your peers don’t know that these resources exist, then they will make their pregnancy and education decisions accordingly. With this month’s Event in a Box, you will be able to confidently:
- Educate your peers on the pregnant on campus initiative
- Emphasize the importance of loving them both
- Inform your peers through marketing the initiative at your school
For a training on how to Love Them Both, contact your Regional Coordinator for information to attend the Embrace Grace training, featuring Amy Ford, on Oct 11, 2016 at 8pm Eastern.
WHATS IN THE BOX:
- How-to “Love Them Both”
- Pregnant on Campus Marketing Guide
- Pregnant on Campus tear off flyer
- Pregnant on Campus Resources flyer
- Abortion Pill Reversal drop cards
- “Pregnant? Need help?” drop cards
- Pregnant on Campus info cards
- “Love Them Both” wristbands
- “I Support Pregnant and Parenting Students” promotional stickers
To order the September Event-in-a-Box, contact your Regional Coordinator today!
If you are a student in CA or NV, contact Camille Rodriguez.
If you are a student in OR, WA, ID, MT, HI or AK contact Katie Lodjic.
If you are a student in CO, NM, WY, AZ, or UT, contact Jake Simon.
If you are a student in MI, IN, or OH, contact RJ McVeigh.
If you are a student in VA, MD, PA, DC, or DE, contact Michelle Hendrickson.
If you are a student in KY, WV, or TN, contact Brenna Hartwell.
If you are a student in NE, IA, KS, IL, or MO, contact Reagan Barklage.
If you are a student in OK or TX, contact Jillian Ferguson.
If you are a student in NY or NJ, contact Keri Landeche.
If you are a student in NC, SC, GA, or FL, contact Ryan Eyrich.
If you are a student in MN or WI, contact Maddie Schulte.
If you are a student in a state not listed, contact Lisa Stover.
HOW TO USE THE BOX:
1.Educate your group on available resources for pregnant and parenting students
2. Hang up flyers
3. Hold a tabling event
1.Get approval from your school to have a table during a high traffic time! Some schools require a week or two for approval, so plan accordingly.
2. Get educated. Use the enclosed “Love Them Both” sheet to educate your campus about the Pregnant On Campus Initiative and to how to best support pregnant and parenting students. Be sure to give a copy to each of your members and distribute them at your group’s table.
3. Make copies of the “Love Them Both” handouts to have on your table. If your school abides by Title IX, print Title IX handouts to best explain pregnant and parenting student’s legal rights and accommodations.
Find Title IX information and handouts at: www.PregnantOnCampus.org/Students-Rights
4. Pick your prompt. Tabling is much more successful with an interactive element. Choose a prompt question or statement to ask students. The question could be “How can we better support pregnant & parenting students?” to encourage discussion focus on resources. Or you could use a question to encourage positive messages of support, like “We support pregnant & parenting students. Do you?” Make a big poster with your prompt, and set up a board to post students’ comments.
Find more instructions for how to organize a Free Speech Table here: www.PregnantOnCampus.org/free-speech-board/
5. Show what you offer. Make a poster board or a 1/2-sheet handout that lists what your student group can do for pregnant and parenting students. Write “Students for Life supports pregnant and parenting students by…” and include a checklist like:
- Offering peer support
- Referring to campus and community resources
- Collecting baby and maternity items
- Hosting baby showers
- Fundraising for scholarships
- Providing transportation to appointments
- Organizing free babysitting
- Advocating for your needs on campus
- Defending your Title IX rights
6. Don’t forget your club banner, a tablecloth, clipboard, “I Support Pregnant and Parenting Students” stickers, your Free Speech materials (e.g. signs and posters), other resource handouts, and pens.
7. Use social media to post pictures of your group at the table with the hashtags #PregnantOnCampus and #LoveThemBoth. You can even ask students to film quick 30-second videos (e.g. what they learned, what surprised them, a message of support, or personal testimonies). Remember to tag the Pregnant on Campus Initiative (@PregnantOnCampus) on your posts.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram: @PregnantOnCampus
1.Get approval from your school to hang up the flyers. Some schools require a week or two for flyer approval, so plan accordingly!
2. Write your club contact info on the bottom of the flyer for interested students to get in touch with you.
3. Make copies of the enclosed flyers.
4. Hang them up everywhere! Split your group into teams, assign locations, and GO. Post flyers on all acceptable bulletin boards, your dorm doors, bathroom stalls, etc. Bring some drop cards with you to place around campus.
5. Use social media to post pictures of your group hanging up the flyers and use the hashtag #PregnantOnCampus and #LoveThemBoth. Tag the Pregnant on Campus Initiative and your school.